ABC - National News
Subscribe To This Feed

iStock/Thinkstock(NEW YORK) -- The man who drove into Travis Air Force Base in California on Wednesday night has been identified as Hafiz Kazi, 51, according to the FBI special agent in charge, Sean Ragan.

Kazi was from India, a legal permanent resident since 1993 with no connection to the base, Ragan said.

Ragan described him as having generally lived in the San Francisco area for much of that time.

Ragan said there was no known nexus to terrorism at this time.

Multiple sources described Kazi to ABC News as a "nomad" and a "vagabond."

His vehicle slowly approached the checkpoint at the main gate of Travis on Wednesday evening, two U.S. officials said. At the point where a guard would have checked Kazi's identification, the vehicle kept moving, and a flash was observed inside the vehicle.

As the vehicle moved slowly through the checkpoint, it fully ignited into flames before coming to a stop on a median, the officials said.

Ragan said five propane tanks were found inside the vehicle, along with three phones, three plastic one-gallon gas cans, several lighters, and a gym bag with personal items.

Authorities extracted a video from one of Kazi's phones and are analyzing it to try and see if it could help point to a motive for the incident which left the driver dead, and the vehicle charred.

Ragan said the video did not contain material connected to Islamic extremism.

The FBI and the Air Force's Office of Special Investigations are jointly looking into the incident.

"The investigation that we're doing right now is trying to piece together his life, trying to piece together what led up to this event and attempt to determine why he was there and why he had those items in his vehicle," Ragan said.

Terrorism and mental health issues are some of the motives being considered, though authorities haven't ruled anything out, officials said.

Ragan added there was no indication that there is a greater threat to the base or surrounding community.

Located in the San Francisco Bay area, Travis is home to over 14,000 service members and civilians and serves as a major cargo and logistics base to the Pacific.

Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Subscribe To This Feed

Logan Mock-Bunting/Getty Images(NEW YORK) -- A fight between two elite Army special operations soldiers on Wednesday left one person dead, the Army confirmed to ABC News.

Shortly after 5:30 pm on Wednesday, the Cumberland County Sheriff's Office was dispatched to a private residence outside of Fort Bragg in Fayetteville, North Carolina after reports of a shooting, the sheriff's office said in a statement.

Deputies found the victim, Sgt. 1st Class Mark Leshikar, 33, dead at the scene. According to a senior defense official, Leshikar was a member of the 19th Special Forces Group, a National Guard Green Beret Unit.

A spokesperson for Army Special Operations Command would not confirm the identity of the shooter. But, a senior defense official said he is an active duty soldier belonging to a Special Missions Unit. The Army's only special mission unit is known as Delta Force.

According to the official, the soldiers had allegedly just returned from a vacation in Florida with their families. Leshikar was kicked out of the house where they were staying in Fayetteville after getting into some kind of altercation.

After Leshikar was let back into the house by a child, he allegedly went after the unidentified soldier with a screwdriver before being shot and killed by that soldier, the official said.

Deputies who arrived on the scene spoke to occupants of the home who were present when the incident occurred, but no charges have been filed, the sheriff's statement said.

Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Subscribe To This Feed

John Sleezer/Kansas City Star/TNS via Getty Images(NEW YORK) -- The former operations director for Schlitterbahn Waterpark in Kansas City, Kansas, and the water park itself have been charged with manslaughter in the 2016 death of a 10-year-old boy on a water slide.

Tyler Austin Miles, 29, was booked into the Wyandotte County Detention Center Friday morning after he turned himself in, jail records show. His bail was set at $50,000.

A lengthy indictment obtained by ABC News names Miles and Schlitterbahn Waterpark of Kansas City, Kansas, as co-defendants. In addition to the manslaughter charges in the death of Caleb Schwab, both Miles and Schlitterbahn were indicted on multiple counts of aggravated battery and aggravated endangering a child.

Schlitterbahn was indicted on one count of interference with law enforcement, concealing evidence, while Miles was indicted on that charge and an additional charge of interference with law enforcement, obstructing official duty.

Schlitterbahn said in a statement Friday that it that was "deeply disappointed to learn any individual is being personally charged for the terrible accident on Verruckt" and added “our review of the facts and circumstances of the accident has never shown any evidence of criminal conduct on the part of anyone.”

Caleb, 10, was killed on Aug. 7, 2016, after something went wrong when the child rode on the park's 168-foot-tall Verruckt (German for "insane") water slide. Verruckt was billed as the largest of its kind in the world at the time. It was closed indefinitely following Caleb's death.

The indictment alleges that Verruckt suffered from a "persistent airborne problem" and underwent a massive redesign in 2014 after testing showed the ride's rafts had a tendency to fly into the air.

Miles and other Schlitterbahn officials -- including John Schooley, lead designer of Verruckt, and Jeff Henry, co-owner of Schlitterbahn -- allegedly had direct knowledge that "the redesign failed to eliminate the airborne raft problem" but moved ahead with the ride's opening nonetheless, according to the indictment.

Henry allegedly came up with the idea for the water slide, rushing the ride to construction despite "a long list of dangerous design flaws," according to the indictment. He was allegedly motivated by a desire to brag to rival water park owners, the indictment states.

Experts who examined the ride after Caleb's death found that "Verruckt's design violated nearly all aspects of the longstanding industry safety standard," the indictment states, adding that evidence shows Verruckt's designers and operators knew that the ride "posed a substantial and unjustifiable risk of death or severe bodily harm."

Documentation cited in the indictment shows that riders suffered a range of injuries before Caleb's death, including multiple broken bones and concussions.

Following Caleb's death, Miles allegedly attempted to cover up reports of complaints of injuries on the ride, the indictment states, even allegedly coaching a lifeguard at the park to lie.

Thanks to Miles' alleged withholding of information and efforts at a cover-up, the investigation was "delayed by nearly six months," the indictment states.

Esteban Castaneda told ABC News in 2016 he first heard a "boom" on Schlitterbahn Waterpark's Verruckt water slide, which is promoted as the world's tallest.

He then saw a raft come through, and "immediately after the raft ... you see a body," he said.

He said there were two women sitting in the back of the raft with blood on them.

Investigators said Caleb was somehow decapitated on the ride.

Caleb's parents spoke to ABC News last year. His father, Scott Schwab, said that in the months after the tragedy, the family members, especially the three surviving brothers, soothe themselves by watching videos of Caleb.

"There's times when it's like, I can't look at that right now, and there's other times when you can't sleep and you want to look at it," Schwab said.

Last year, the Schwab family reached a settlement of an undisclosed amount with the park's owners and the ride's manufacturer that will go to Caleb's brothers, attorneys for the family, Mike Rader and Todd Scharnhorst, told ABC News.

Miles was released on bail Friday afternoon.

The statement from the company goes on to say: "The safety of our guests and employees has been at the forefront of our culture throughout our 40 years of operations. Our families enjoy our waterparks and its rides and attractions. We have set the highest bar for safety in our industry.

"Our staff, since we opened Schlitterbahn Kansas City, has demonstrated the highest dedication to safety, from the training of our lifeguards and ride operators, to ensuring all rides have operated in accordance with our strict protocols. Our team has been conscientious and committed to providing visitors to the waterpark a safe and enjoyable experience. We are shocked by any allegations of impropriety or negligence on the part of anyone associated with Verruckt.

"Throughout his employment with us, our operations director, Tyler, demonstrated the highest dedication to safety, from the training of our lifeguards and ride operators, to ensuring all rides have operated in accordance with our strict protocols. He was conscientious and committed to providing visitors to the waterpark a safe and enjoyable experience. Tyler left us in September to accept great opportunity; we were sorry to see him go and wished him well. We stand by him and are shocked by these allegations."

In a later statement regarding the corporate indictment, Schlitterbahn said: "We’ve reviewed the indictment against Schlitterbahn Kansas City and Tyler Miles and we plan on contesting the allegations. Since the date of the incident we have worked closely with law enforcement; at no time have we withheld evidence; at no time have we altered evidence. The indictment uses quoted statements from a reality TV show that was scripted for dramatic effect that in no way reflects the design and construction of the ride.

"The safety of our Schlitterbahn guests and employees has been at the forefront of our culture throughout our 40 years of operations. Many of us rode Verruckt regularly, as did our children and grandchildren. We have faith in the justice system and are confident that when we finally have an opportunity to defend ourselves, it will be clear that this was an accident. We stand by our team and will fight these charges."

ABC News could not immediately reach Schooley and Henry.

The Schwab family has not yet commented on Friday's news.

It's unclear if any pleas have been entered in the case.

Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Subscribe To This Feed

iStock/Thinkstock(ATLANTA) -- Atlanta officials are reassuring the public that operations will continue as normal as they deal with a cyberattack on the city's systems.

While most of the city’s websites are working normally, a number of web pages that customers use to pay bills began to be affected Thursday morning. Access to court information was also affected.

Whoever is behind the attack is asking for a $50,000 ransom.

As the city struggled to contain the spread of the attack, city officials have been forced to take down web pages in other departments and literally unplug city computers. Some city workers aren’t even receiving email.

Mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms said that her office is working with the FBI.

“We are continuing to work with our federal partners and other stakeholders who continue to advise us on how best to navigate and approach this,” Bottoms said.

City leaders stress that there have been no impacts to police, water service, 911 and Atlanta’s Hartsfield International Airport. The city, they point out, was built before computers. As a protective measure, Wi-Fi at the airport has been turned off. Security wait time signs and flight information signs may not be accurate as a result, officials cautioned.

The greatest impacts appear to be at municipal court and the city detention center -- with computers down, many taken down protectively, city employees are having to manually admit inmates, handle tickets and warrants. The city court currently cannot validate warrants or process ticket payments online or in person.

Customers will not be penalized for late payments, the city said.

The city government isn’t getting specific about who the demands are from, what kind of data has been stolen and what’s being held hostage, but it’s clear that city’s systems have been severely compromised.

Bottoms did not say Friday whether the city planned to pay the $50,000 ransom, but already city council members are promising her millions if she needs to build a new secure system from the ground up. She referenced similar ransom attacks on corporations, and on other government agencies in Colorado and North Carolina.

“What we know is that someone is in our system, and that there is a weakness there,” Bottoms said.

“It is absolutely not what we wanted to have happened in the city of Atlanta. But to the extent that there are changes and upgrades that we need to make to our system, we need to do it now.”

She added: “This is a massive inconvenience to the city.”

Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Subscribe To This Feed

iStock/Thinkstock(NEW YORK) -- Four members of an Iowa family were found dead in Mexico after they were reported missing just after midnight Friday.

The bodies of Kevin Wayne Sharp, 41; his wife, Amy Marie Sharp, 38; Sterling Wayne Sharp, 12; and Adrianna Marie Sharp, 7, were found at the condominium where they were staying in Tulum, according to the Creston Police Department.

Autopsies are being conducted in Mexico, police said.

According to ABC Des Moines affiliate WOI-TV, the family left for Mexico on March 15 and were expected back in the U.S. on Wednesday.

Amy Sharp's cousin Jana Weland told ABC News the family flew out of St. Louis and called Amy Sharp's mom that same day to let her know they had arrived.

It was the family's second time in Mexico, and their planned activities included meeting up with some friends and going to a water park, Weland said.

But "they never showed up at that water park to meet them," Weland said.

On Thursday night, the family had a "gut feeling" that something was wrong when they watched for the last flight to St. Louis and they "didn't hear from them," Weland said. She added that it was "unusual" that they weren't posting photos because "last year they shared pictures about every day."

"I guess we were all kind of hoping for the best -- that maybe they were just planning to stay another day," she said.

ABC affiliate KETV in Omaha reported there were no signs of foul play.

"To my knowledge, they went to sleep and never woke up," Weland said.

No further details were released by police.

In a statement, the U.S. State Department said: "We are able to confirm the deaths of four U.S. citizens in Akumal, Mexico. We extend our sincere condolences to friends and family. Our consulate in Merida is providing consular services. Out of respect for the family during this difficult time, we have no further comment."

Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Subscribe To This Feed YORK) -- A South Carolina school bus driver and aide are being hailed as heroes following a crash involving a tractor-trailer and a school bus carrying children with special needs.

Dramatic dashcam video of the incident was released by the Greenville County School District.

The two vehicles were traveling in opposite directions when the tractor-trailer hit a pole and crossed over into oncoming traffic on the opposite side of the road, South Carolina Highway Patrol Trooper Joe Hovis told ABC News.

Four children from Sara Collins Elementary School and Washington Center in Greenville were on board the bus along with the driver and an aide. Miraculously, there was only one minor injury in the crash.

“A 10-year-old was transported for non-life-threatening injuries,” Hovis said.

In the video, aide Carletta Cyrus is seen checking on the children soon after the crash, as is the driver, Tammy Cummings.

Cummings advised the children to stay on board the vehicle and consoled them, joking with one of the students about a video game he had on his phone, according to Adam James, the director of transportation for the Greenville County School District.

Cummings is no stranger to crisis, James said. She is also the school bus safety trainer for Greenville County Schools.

“What we see is training going into action. They did exactly what they’re trained to do. For us, it validated the training,” James told ABC News. "The driver saw what had happened ahead of her and had she not stopped the bus when she did, I believe it could've been a lot worse."

James said the school district transports 27,000 children daily, covering 41,000 miles a day. He called Cummings and Cyrus’ actions heroic.

“I would call both of them heroes,” James said. “We’ve heard from each parent on that bus. One mother in particular, she just couldn’t thank the driver enough calling her a hero and thanking us for the training.”

The driver behind the wheel of the tractor-trailer has been charged with driving left of center, Hovis said.

Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Subscribe To This Feed YORK) -- Newly released video from a Michigan police department shows an allegedly drunken driver speaking to police officers minutes before he crashed head-on with another vehicle -- killing both him and the other motorist.

Pittsfield Police released the dash cam video of the December 30 accident earlier this week. It captures police officers speaking to Desten Houge after he lost control of his vehicle, which was in a ditch.

"I can't explain this s---," Houge can be heard saying in the video. "It just happened."

The video shows Houge slip and fall on the snowy bank before an officer helps him up.

A tow truck, seen in the video, eventually helps get Houge's vehicle out of the ditch.

Almost an hour later, Houge, back in his vehicle, loses control of it and crosses the center line, according to a police report. That's when police say he crashed into the other vehicle, which was driven by Lake Jacobson.

Police said Houge, who was not wearing a seatbelt, died at the scene. Jacobson, 55, died four days later.

Initially, police did not "suspect alcohol or drugs were a factor," according to the report in December.

But, according to MichiganLive, which obtained a copy of his autopsy, Houge's blood-alcohol content was 0.24 percent, three times Michigan's legal limit for driving.

The Pittsfield Township Police Department did not respond to requests for comment.

But Matt Harshberger, the department's director of public safety, told MichiganLive that officials were surprised by the results of the autopsy. There were no signs Houge was drunk when police spoke to him, Harshberger said, and officers didn't see the need to issue a sobriety test.

The officers, Harshberger told MichiganLive, "processed [the accident] as they would any crash."

He said the department reviewed the incident, including the dash cam video, and found no internal violations. As such, it decided not to conduct a deeper investigation or to discipline the officers, Harshberger added.

"This was an extremely unfortunate, tragic situation," he said. "I feel terrible about it, but I don't see how we would have done anything different."

Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Subscribe To This Feed

iStock/Thinkstock(NEW YORK) -- The two officers involved in the fatal shooting of an unarmed black man in Sacramento, California, have been receiving death threats, officials said.

Hundreds of outraged demonstrators rallied Thursday to protest the shooting 22-year-old Stephon Clark, who was killed in his grandmother's backyard. Police fired 20 shots at Clark.

Linda Matthew, spokesperson for the Sacramento Police Department, told ABC News the investigation into Clark's death is expected to take two months at least. She would not confirm the names of the two officers involved.

Matthew said while 20 shots were fired, police still do not know how many times Clark was hit by gunfire. She added that additional body camera video from responding officers will be released within the next 30 days.

On Sunday night, police were responding to reports of a black male breaking into a car and hiding in a backyard, officials said.

When the responding officers arrived at the scene, they said Clark advanced toward them with an object in his hand, police said. Initial reports said Clark was armed with a gun and then later a "toolbar."

But the only object found on Clark was a cellphone, police later said.

Police released body camera footage from the shooting on Wednesday night as well as thermal-imaging video from a Sacramento Sheriff's Department helicopter, which shows Clark running from a neighbor's yard and onto his grandmother's property.

After police are seen running down a driveway after Clark and taking cover at the edge of the building, they yell several times for Clark to stop and show them his hands before several shots are fired.

Chopper video shows Clark moving toward the officers before the shooting, but it is unclear whether his arms were extended.

When asked if there’s any doubt as to whether Clark was in fact the suspect police were looking for, Matthew said police were still investigating.

"That’s still part of the investigation, but that’s where our detectives come in, in contacting everyone along that street, all of the neighbors, to find out, you know, what his actions were prior to our officers’ arrival," she said.

The crowd at Thursday night's demonstration first went into Sacramento's City Hall, chanting "Stand up, fight back" and "No justice, no peace.

The march then moved to Interstate 5 -- which was shut down as a result -- before protestors formed a human chain to block the entrance to Golden 1 Center, delaying a Sacramento Kings game. The basketball game eventually was played, but with few spectators as the doors to the arena were locked.

Both officers involved in the shooting are on paid administrative leave.

Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Subscribe To This Feed

iStock/Thinkstock(NEW YORK) --  A truck crash on an interstate highway in Florida critically injured the driver, killed some of the cows the truck was carrying and left other cattle wandering along the highway, authorities said.

The driver of the truck was transported for possible life-threatening injuries and is in critical condition, according the the sheriff. The sheriff also said some of the cattle were killed as a result of the crash. The cause of the crash was not immediately clear.

After the accident, law enforcement, with local residents pitching in, worked to corral the cows loose along the highway.

"Our Agriculture Unit along with [sheriff's department] and some Good Samaritans are roping love stock to help clear the interstate," the sheriff's office tweeted.

The crash closed several lanes of the interstate including through Friday morning, according to the sheriff’s office.

Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Subscribe To This Feed YORK) -- A camera captured the daring rescue of a man trapped inside an overturned car on Thursday, as a deluge of floodwaters pummeled his vehicle and nearly swept him away in Santa Clarita, California.

Bystander Krystina Reyes filmed as her uncle jumped out of their vehicle and onto the overturned SUV, risking his life to save a complete stranger.

"We all just jumped out of the van. My uncle right away was like, 'Call 911,'" Krystina Reyes told ABC Los Angeles station KABC-TV.

The driver, Margarito Martinez, was trying to cross a road when the powerful current flipped his vehicle on its side.

The video shows Reyes’ uncle using a rock from the river to smash open the window. He can be heard telling Martinez to try to unbuckle his seat belt moments before he climbs out.

Martinez’s rescue reminded Reyes how dangerous the currents in the area can be, though they may not look the part.

“Right after we had gotten Margarito out, I had a hugging moment with my uncle just thinking that could have been us,” Reyes said.

Martinez is a gardener in the neighborhood and one of his clients decided to rescue him in another way. He bought him a replacement SUV shortly after the terrifying incident.

"He's worth it. He's a good person, and I'll get it back. God will give it back to me," Dennis Neice told KABC-TV.

Neighbors are also raising funds to get him new tools.

Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Subscribe To This Feed

ABC News(NEW YORK) -- As Northeast residents dig out from another nor'easter, 13 states from the Dakotas to North Carolina are on alert for heavy snow this weekend.

The band of heavy, wet snow will span from the Dakotas to Kentucky by Saturday morning. This kind of snow can potentially down trees and power lines.

The heaviest snow will fall from the Dakotas to Iowa, where up to a foot is possible.

The storm will quickly move into the Carolinas by Sunday morning and could bring snow to the central Appalachian Mountains from West Virginia to North Carolina.

Up to half a foot of snow is possible from Illinois to Virginia and into North Carolina.

Meanwhile, California is recovering from some major rainfall.

Up to 10.56 inches of rain fell in central California in 48 hours.

Up to 2 inches of rain fell in Santa Barbara and up to 1 inch around Los Angeles.

The worst of the flooding was found east and southeast of Sacramento, where rescues were made after cars became stuck on flooded streets.

Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Subscribe To This Feed

iStock/Thinkstock(NEW ORLEANS) -- For Kris and Sarah Gerig, their trial has ended in a life sentence of love.

The New Orleans couple, who met on jury duty in a theft trial in August 2015, were married March 14 in the same courtroom where they met. Their ceremony was presided over by the same judge who heard the trial they served on the jury for.

Kris Gerig felt it was meant to be. "First there were 200 potential jurors, " he told "Good Morning America." "Then it was down to 30. Then just six people on the jury, with one alternate. Sarah was the alternate."

"Each step of the way almost missed out on getting to know each other," he said.

Sarah Gerig recalled that Kris was, "well-dressed and cute and was pretty funny. He was the only one with a notebook and pencil."

The two-day trial ended before they got to say goodbye, Sarah Gerig said. But the jury had to return to the courtroom the next week to potentially be selected for another trial.

That's when Kris took his opportunity. He asked Sarah out, and they had lunch that day near the courthouse.

The couple were engaged a year later, and Sarah Gerig said the idea to get married in the courtroom where they met was something they had joked about.

"I had written a note to Judge Robin Pittman in the meantime letting her know we had met on the trial and were now together and very happy. She [Pittman] wrote back she was so happy for us."

So it was not surprising that the judge, who Sarah described as "no nonsense" during the trial, granted the couple's request to get married in her courtroom. She also invited them to invite whoever they wanted.

"That was so nice," Kris Gerig said. "We had thought it would be like a four-person wedding, but all of our family got to be there."

The courtroom, which Sarah Gerig had recalled feeling "bigger and scarier" during the trial, was "warm and welcoming" the day of the wedding. "The judge really excited her whole staff, they were so excited taking so many pictures."

And now, according to the couple, Judge Pittman has a heartwarming story to tell her possible jurors: "Don't dread jury duty, you may meet the love of your life."

Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Subscribe To This Feed

iStock/Thinkstock(CHEVERLY, Md.) -- A 16-year-old girl shot at her Maryland high school on Tuesday died late Thursday night after she was taken off life support, officials said.

Great Mills High School student Jaelynn Willey, 16, and a classmate were shot, allegedly by Austin Rollins, 17, in a school hallway just before classes began on Tuesday, police said. The school's resource officer engaged Rollins and the two exchanged gunfire; Rollins was hit and later died at a hospital.

"On Tuesday, this past week, our lives changed completely and totally forever," Willey's mother, Melissa Willey, said at a press conference Thursday. "My daughter was hurt by a boy who shot her in the head."

Jaelynn Willey had been on life support at University of Maryland Prince George's Hospital Center in Cheverly, Maryland, but was brain dead.

"She will not make it," her mother said. "We will be taking her off life support this evening."

Jaelynn Willey was the second-oldest of nine siblings and a member of the Great Mills High School swim team, her mother said.

"It is with terribly broken hearts that we learn of the tragic news regarding Jaelynn Willey," Maryland Governor Larry Hogan said in a statement Thursday. "No parent should ever be faced with a decision like this."

"There are no words adequate to express our compassion for her loving family and the entire Great Mills community," he said. "All of Maryland grieves with them, and they will remain in our thoughts and prayers."

The second victim, a 14-year-old boy, was treated for a gunshot wound in the thigh and released on Wednesday.

Jaelynn Willey and the suspected gunman "had a prior relationship" that "recently ended," the St. Mary's County Sheriff's Office said. "All indications suggest the shooting was not a random act of violence."

St. Mary’s County Sheriff Tim Cameron called the shooting "our worst nightmare."

"This is what we prepare for," he said. "And this is what we pray we never have to do."

This shooting came four days before Saturday's March for Our Lives in nearby Washington, D.C. Thousands of students are expected to descend upon the nation’s capital to rally for gun control and safer schools in the wake of the deadly Feb. 14 shooting in Parkland, Florida.

Less than one week before Great Mills High School faced its own shooting, its students were among the thousands participating in the National School Walkout, according to local news outlet

The walkout, which marked a month since the Parkland massacre, was organized as a call on Congress to tighten gun laws.

Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Subscribe To This Feed

iStock/Thinkstock(NEW YORK) -- A New York City firefighter died late Thursday battling a blaze on the Harlem set of a film starring Ed Norton and Bruce Willis.

Michael R. Davidson, 37, was separated from his unit while fighting the five-alarm fire and was later found unconscious, Fire Commissioner Dan Nigro said at a press conference early Friday morning. He was transported to Harlem Hospital, where he later died.

Two other firefighters suffered serious burns and three civilians experienced minor injuries, Nigro said.

Officials do not yet know what caused the fire, which has been extinguished.

"Firefighter Davidson bravely battled many fires and responded to countless calls for help from New Yorkers throughout his 15 years of dedicated service," Nigro said later in a statement. "Our department and our entire city mourn this tragic loss of a very brave firefighter."

Davidson was cited for bravery and livesaving actions on four different occasions. He's the son of retired firefighter Robert Davidson, a 26-year FDNY veteran, and the brother of Eric Davidson, an 11-year veteran of Engine Company 88 in the Bronx.

Davidson is survived by his wife, Eileen; three daughters, ages 7, 3 and 1; and a 6-year-old son. Arrangements are pending.

Norton reportedly was at the scene of the fire, which sparked around 11 p.m. He wrote the screenplay for "Motherless Brooklyn," which is based on a Jonathan Lethem novel. Filming was not occurring at the time of the fire.

Norton and the film's producers later released a statement confirming that the fire started in a cellar below where they'd been filming.

"Our deepest condolences to the family of Michael R. Davidson," the statement read. "As soon as we noticed smoke coming up into our set, our crew immediately alerted the fire department and began alerting residents of the building even as we evacuated our cast and crew. To our great sorrow, we now know that a NYC firefighter lost his life battling the blaze that grew, and our hearts ache in solidarity with his family. New York City firefighters truly are the bravest in the world. We watched firsthand with astonishment as they charged into the smoke to make sure all were safely out and then fought to contain the blaze and prevent it from spreading, putting their lives on the line as they do every day. The FDNY are real-life superheroes and have our boundless admiration and gratitude."

Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Subscribe To This Feed

iStock/Thinkstock(NEW YORK CITY) -- Two manhole explosions rattled lower Manhattan this afternoon during the rush hour commute.

At around 4:30 p.m., the New York City Fire Department was alerted to a loud explosion with smoke in Manhattan's financial district, officials told ABC News.

Roughly half an hour later, a second manhole exploded.

One person experienced non-life threatening injuries and was transported to Bellevue Hospital for treatment.

Firefighters evacuated two buildings due to high carbon monoxide levels. One building lost electrical service.

Utility company Con Edison told ABC News that following snowstorms, salt on the streets and sidewalks can find its way underground and corrode equipment, leading to potential manhole fires.

The cause of the explosions is under investigation.

Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.